Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 21 - A Picture of Something You Wish You Could Forget

First year, first semester. Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.

This subject was one of my favorites that time, next to algebra, until it started letting you do activities that involves going in front and/or holding a microphone.

It began with a simple product commercial that you have to do yourself. Mine was for a soda that replenishes lost creative juices. Juice Up: it's not a juice, it's a soda. Pretty lame, I know. Anyway, those simple enough assignments turned longer. It evolved into doing your own radio segment as a deejay. Inevitably, it proceeded to being a veejay. I have to give credits to Final Fantasy for the music played for both of those "gigs".

I really thought that was it until our teacher announced that we'll be singing a full song in front of class for our Finals. Gah! I don't like to sing, especially in front of everybody.

When the day came, we found out that we were not only going to sing in front, we're going to do it with a microphone... and two speakers behind us.

The only tape I was able to borrow was by Carol Banawa. I sang--or rather, tried to sing--the song "Stay". For those who know how that song goes, it has a lot of high notes. Certainly not fit for a newbie like me. In the end, I did sing and left forever scarred.

I immediately buried that memory but it pops out like a zombie once in a while. Most frequently during my Literature classes a few years afterwards. I usually end up skipping class on days with singing or anything involved with the front part of the classroom.

2 comments: