Friday, March 18, 2011

Day 12 - A Picture of Something You Love

The Cebu Eastern College Pugadlawin Scouting Unit.

I entered the unit when I was a freshman in high school through the persuasion of my cousin who was an officer in her time. So, I joined since it also meant that I can be exempted from PE classes. I didn't take it really seriously even when I reached my second year. I hardly ever attended the regular meetings on Saturdays but I do join the hikes.

When I reached my third year, my sister was in her first year in high school so I bribed her in joining the unit. I then became the Patrol Leader then my sister became my assistant. At that point, I regretted having been absent during my two years in the unit.

Our school's scouting unit is not like those of the public schools here in the Philippines. I remember that our Type A uniform then was made from a very thick blue cotton cloth. We would roll up a yellow beret(yellow is the color for the member rank) and tuck it under a strap on one shoulder and a yellow braided cord would be on the other shoulder. Senior officers would then check if our cords has a whistle attached to it.

Just like our uniforms, the way the unit is run is different. Boys and Girls are trained together. That's why I never earned a single badge for my girl scouting (if girls could apply for the boy's badges, then I'm confident that I could have earned some). Girls in our unit are not taught how to sew different stitches or any of those girly stuffs written in their manuals. Instead, we were taught how to tie the eight basic knots, the special knots, how to build a two-story tower using bamboo poles (and make us climb it after we're done), how to build a fire using friction, Morse code, the sixteen points of a compass and, one time, how to use a trans-receiver.

We were taught discipline which meant that we are not allowed to talk or even wipe any sweat from our face when in the 'Parade Rest' position.

I was (in my third year) a part of the newly-formed Lion and Dragon Dance Troupe. We performed at different venues and get cash in return. I was a rich girl then. haha

I graduated high school with the rank of Girl Guide Skills in the unit. GG Skills requires that you are knowledgeable in different areas of the skills taught in scouting, hence the name.

I still returned to the unit once in a while when I was already in college (I even spent one of my summer vacations training future officers, single-handedly, gah!).

If only I have known that the University of Cebu offered a Rover scout course, I would have gladly cross-enrolled.

All that I'm left now is the memory and friends I gained during my brief stay in the unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment